Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Very new to Data Mining Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:13 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:52 PM
Raunak Jhawar (10/8/2010)
Best. Baby Diapers and Beer. Couldn't have asked a better example. You Rock.

It is a classic example, used many times to explain data mining.
However, it is not true:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/15/beer_diapers/

Seriously, have you ever been in a supermarket where beer and diapers are next to each other?

Better examples I've found in every day life:

* supermarkets use data mining to see if a promotion on a product was succesfull and to see if the products in the intermediate area of said product sold less or more.

* supermarkets also use data mining to send you "personalized" coupons

* Amazon uses data mining to suggest you books that might interest you. (this is correlation. Amazon checks the books you've bought or looked at, and uses these to find books that are highly correlated with those. As more and more people come at the Amazon site, the correlation algorithm gets more and more precise.)

* analysis of the customer base to find a certain demographic that might find a certain brochure interesting

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1018718
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:10 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:52 PM
I was thinking about the "beers and diapers" example during dinner, and maybe there can be some truth in it:
if beer and diapers are highly correlated, you should not set them together (as in the example), but instead put them as far apart as you can (as in real life). If there's someone in the store who wants to buy beer and diapers (me, for example), he'd have to traverse the whole store. This way the store can present its wonderful products along the way, which is exactly what they want.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1018785
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:22 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:28 AM
This is one test case scenario...
There are also chances of pre assumptions by a certain lot of customers pre-assuming that since many stores have a definite store arrangement they may tend to believe that the said product is not available. Which though is a negative test case...should be considered.

Regards/Raunak
Now a member of Linkedin

Please visit the all new Performance Point Forum
Please visit the all new Data Mining and Business Analytics Forum
Post #1019286
Posted Tuesday, September 6, 2011 5:16 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:41 AM
I really love the explanation so clear.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris
Post #1170266
Posted Monday, February 6, 2012 7:57 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:42 AM
I still don't get it... then again SSAS leaves me confused on days that end with Y

1. Say I have a well functioning cube.
A. How do I turn data mining loose on it? I realize it's part of SSAS, but making it do anything seems confusing.
B. How do I present the results of the Data Mining? Near as I can tell, the only way to do that is via the Excel Data
Mining plug-in. Except of course the Excel DM plugin doesn't work with 64-bit excel.

2. Do certain table designs work best for DM?

3. Is there a simple way to bring the DM values into the cube itself? i.e. if I'm using the DM to extrapolate a growth curve, how would I have SSAS extend the line past the end of the data?

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #1247374
Posted Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:21 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:03 PM
very good start of separate forum and basic question on data mining. i am also interested to know more and deep...
can suggest any good book or article?
Thanks

Aim to inspire rather than to teach.
SQL Server DBA
Post #1324423
Posted Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:39 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:45 AM
Appreciable response for good understanding. This will help others also who are seeking something related to business intelligence and data mining as well as the difference between both.

Business Intelligence : Sigma Infosolutions
Post #1376902
Posted Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:40 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:45 AM
Appreciable response for good understanding. This will help others also who are seeking something related to business intelligence and data mining as well as the difference between both.

Business Intelligence : Sigma Infosolutions
Post #1376903
Posted Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:11 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:17 PM
There was a great introduction to data mining by Russ Blake at au teched 2012. The slides are here: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/Australia/2012/DBI226
Data mining for fun and for profit
Post #1378694
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse